One of the changes OFSTED has made is the introduction of ‘near-to-no-notice’ inspections, meaning that we will find out on the afternoon of the day before that inspectors are due. This can make it difficult for inspectors to gather parental views on the school.
Ofsted have introduced an on-line tool, ParentView, which asks similar questions to our own annual survey. Parents/carers are asked to record their view for the following 12 questions, by stating either ‘strongly agree’, ‘agree’, ‘disagree’, ‘strongly disagree’ or ‘don’t know’: The twelve questions asked are:
· My child is happy at this school
· My child feels safe at this school
· My child makes good progress at this school
· My child is well looked after at this school
· My child is taught well at this school
· My child receives appropriate homework for their age
· This school ensures the pupils are well behaved
· This school deals effectively with bullying
· This school is well led and managed
· This school responds well to any concern I raise
· I receive valuable information from the school about my child’s progress
· I would recommend this school to another parent
Although our survey also addresses ‘local’ or ‘topical’ issues the Governors believe that ParentView has an important part to play, and especially so if it fairly reflects the opinions of all the parents. It will only be truly representative if as many people respond online as they do to our survey (around 50% of families). For 2015, therefore, we are asking parents to register with and complete the survey on line. Your answers to the ParentView questions will help us gain a fuller idea of our strengths and areas for development.
To take part, follow the link www.parentview.ofsted.gov.uk to the Parent View site and click on the ‘give your views now’ icon.
For those without computer access at home, school can make available a secure and private ‘space’ where a laptop can be used. Dursley library can also provide access to the ParentView site.
If this is the first time you are visiting the site you will need to register – follow the instructions to do this and, once done, you will be able to use the system. Responding to the 12-question survey does not take long. Remember, each parent can register separately to give their own views of the school, and you can do this for each child you have at the school. Parent View will provide Ofsted with crucial information about our school prior to the next inspection.
Once sufficient responses have been given everyone can view the results online to see how we are performing. Your own views, of course, remain anonymous.
Thank you in advance for your co-operation,